Monday, October 12, 2009

My Mom's Reaction

CHAT WITH RONELLE (8 October)
I talked to my mom today. And on the spur of the moment I told her that we do not have any definite plans yet, but we are thinking of adopting a baby in a year or so.

Her answer: So what is wrong with you? Can't you have any more children?
I: There is no problem. It is just something that we are considering. And there are so many babies who need families.
Mom: Why would you want to do that?
I: Well, seeing all the children here in need...
Mom: In [that country]? Do you mean to tell me you want to adopt a black baby?
I: Yes...
Mom: You can't do it! You can't do it to your children! You are going to teach Harry that it is okay to marry a black person! You are going to teach him that there is no difference between white and black! You will see, he is going to get married to a black girl! You can't do this to your children. What is wrong with you!

I was absolutely speechless. I expected that she would have reservations. I did not expect this. She continued:
Can't you adopt a white baby in South Africa?
I: Because we are not resident there at the moment we are not allowed to. Even if we were there, we would also adopt a black baby, the waiting list for a white baby is about 5 years.

She and my dad phoned me later. My father was calm and asked me about why I am considering adopting a baby. She was in tears, finally saying: If you adopt that baby, you will not bring her to my house! You will not be welcome here anymore!

OH MY...

I could not believe what I was hearing. The rest of the evening I was in a state of disbelief. She has never shocked me like this before. I could not believe that she would say something like that. I could hear that my dad tried to take the phone from her halfway through, but she refused and told him: No, I am going to tell her what I really think! Can you believe that?

REPLY FROM RONELLE
Oh no. This is very bad. And I am surprised by your parents. I would not have expected it. It's not as if we are in the middel of the previous century... I feel so sorry for you. Because, whatever happens in the future, it sounds like she has burned a "mother-bridge"? Don't know if that can be repaired... It does sound as if your dad is more reasonable?

REPLY TO RONELLE
Yes, my dad seems to be more reasonable. Although, perhaps I am just defending him now, he did say "things like this never work out". But I think he realised that he may be talking about a future child of mine, and that whatever he says, it will be remembered. Could we talk again later, I have to go, Henry is here. I have to go cry on his shoulder.

REPLY FROM RONELLE
Sure. Well, in my opinion, all that you can do is wait a while for everything to fall in place in yourself, your head and your heart... I am thinking of you. I think what you want to do is great. Don't give up. But you also don't have to hurry. Chat again later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you had this experience. You might consider protecting yourself from their comments by not discussing it with them until you and your hubby have decided what is right for your family. And don't necessarily decide that the mother-daughter bridge is completely burned. Time may take care of her initial over the top reaction. I wish you luck with your decision. Transracial adoptions can and do work if you decide to go forward, but it really helps to be prepared. We've done quite a few Creating a Family shows on this topic. www.CreatingaFamily.org. (Radio page)

    ReplyDelete